Arizona 5th Graders can win $529 towards an AZ529 College Savings Plan.
CONTEST IS OPEN SEPTEMBER 1 THROUGH OCTOBER 31, 2019. ENTER TODAY
The AZ529 Essay Writing Contest
How will your child change the world? Let’s find out. To celebrate 20 wonderful years of families saving for college with the Arizona 529 Family College Savings Plan, we’re hosting our first essay-writing contest.
Is your 5th Grader a smarty-pants who’s destined for greatness? We want to hear from them!
WHO: All current 5th grade students in Arizona (Including public district/charter, private and home-schooled).
HOW: Answer the question, “In 20 years, I’ll change the world by…”
Responses should be written in a minimum of three (3) paragraphs, with a maximum total word count of 350. The more creative, unique, and thought-provoking, the better!
WHEN: Entries are accepted through October 31, 2019 at 11:59 PM (MST).
WHERE: Essays may be submitted online, using the upload button on this page or entries may also be mailed to:
5th Grade Essay Writing Contest
c/o Davidson Belluso
4105 N. 20th St., Suite 155
Phoenix, AZ 85016
WHY: Because winning $529 towards a new or existing AZ529 College Savings Plan is an incredible way to kick off 5th grade and your future college savings!
Twenty (20) vouchers, each in the amount of $529 will be awarded towards an AZ 529 College Savings Plan, one from each of Arizona’s 15 counties, with an additional five awarded between Maricopa and Pima Counties. More than $10,500 will be provided to 20 young students to assist in saving for their educational plans beyond high school!
Contest Entry Form
Official Contest Rules
- One (1) original entry per person
- HOW TO ENTER: Essays must be submitted through the official contest web page or mailed to “5th Grade Essay Writing Contest, c/o Davidson Belluso, 4105 N. 20th St., Suite 155, Phoenix, AZ 85016.” Entries must be received online or by mail no later than 11:59 PM on October 31, 2019.
- Judging Criteria/Winner Selection:
- Entries will be judged and scored by a panel of judges, including representatives of the AZ 529 Family College Savings Program.
- Entries will be anonymously judged based on a scoring rubric of 30 percent for originality, 30 percent for organization and 40 percent for overall content. Any ties will be broken based on an additional score for overall readability and adherence to the contest theme.
- ELIGIBILITY: All participants must be Arizona residents, currently enrolled in fifth grade as of August 2019. The parent or legal guardian submitting an entry on behalf of the minor must also be an Arizona resident.
- PRIZES: Twenty (20) vouchers, each in the amount of $529, will be awarded toward an AZ 529 College Savings Plan, one from each of Arizona’s 15 counties, with an additional five awarded between Maricopa and Pima Counties. All prizes will be conveyed through a direct contribution to a new or existing AZ529 account in the name of the winner or their parent/guardian. No cash prizes will be awarded.
- WINNER SELECTION/VERIFICATION: Winners will be notified by phone and/or email after the close of the contest and completion of judging. To receive AZ529 funds, parents/ guardians must submit verification of an open AZ529 account within 90 days after the award notification. If verification is not completed within 90 days of the notification, the prize will be forfeited.
- AGREEMENT TO THE OFFICIAL RULES: By participating in the Contest, each Entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to accept these Official Rules and the decision of the sponsor and judges which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. No purchase necessary to enter or win.
- AGREEMENT TO USE OF CONTENT: By submitting an entry, each participant (and their parent or legal guardian) agrees to allow the Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education, Arizona Family College Savings Program and its agents to use the content of each essay. Verbiage from selected essays may be shared online or in print for marketing purposes, either in full or in excerpts. The child’s last name will not be shared or posted online or in a social message but may be used in news releases or media coverage.
- DISCLOSURE OF SPONSORS: The AZ529 Family College Savings Plan is managed by the Arizona Family College Savings Program, a division of the Arizona Commission for Higher Education. Approved AZ529 Plan providers include Fidelity, College Savings Bank and Waddell & Reed, Inc. This contest is being managed by Davidson Belluso, marketing partner of the Arizona Family College Savings Program.
- TAX LIABILITY: The Sponsors and their agents make no representations as to the tax liability or deductibility of a prize. Each participant (and their parent or legal guardian) shall be solely responsible for filing and paying any taxes arising from the receipt of a prize.
The 20 winners will be declared by a panel of judges. The panel will include a representative of the Arizona 529 Family College Savings Program. The panel will read and judge each essay based on originality, organization and content.
The Arizona 529 College Savings Plan is a designated account to save for qualified higher education expenses. Contributions to this account grow on a tax-deferred basis. Funds in a 529 account can be used for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, a computer, internet services and other related expenses.
If your child wins, you will receive a $529 voucher towards an Arizona Family College Savings 529 Plan. Funds saved in an AZ529 account can be used toward qualified higher education expenses at most accredited higher education institutions in the country and some schools abroad. There is no obligation to use the winning funds at a specific vocational school, college or university.